Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Nothing is perfect


Well, the search for the perfect job is finally over. No, I didn’t get a job. I can’t even get an email back from people to let me know they chose not to hire me. I’ve just decided to quit looking for it.

As the last few dollars in my bank account pad my slowly dying ego, I have come to the realization that my idea of the perfect job doesn't exist. Life is what you make of it and you either make the best of it or you suffer through it.

When I first started my quest for employment this time last year, I was picky. After 5 months and no response from potential employers, I decided that being picky was a luxury I couldn’t afford. I began to spread my search and I finally got some responses.

About the time I finished school in November, I began to spread out even more—I applied to entry level jobs that I thought I would enjoy. I finally started getting called in for interviews. I thought the tide was turning.

Today, I realized I may be spreading out a little too wide. I looked at a job description on Craigslist and read the words, “We work with Urine,hair and saliva...we do not work with blood.” And I thought, Hmm. Body fluids don’t really gross me out too much. How much does it pay and when does it start?


Yes, my search has grown very wide indeed. Who ever said the job market is picking up must live somewhere besides coastal Georgia.

To be honest, I really don’t care where I work at this point as long as I know it’s a place that won’t wear me down and turn me into someone who is a miserable person to be around.
I don’t want to be one of those people who can’t pay her bills any longer, but who refuses to roll up her sleeves and dive into the trenches to make ends meet.

If there is anything that I have learned these past few years, it’s that the rough times are temporary and sometimes you have to roll up your sleeves and take care of business.

I’m lucky I have a skill that allows me to pick up contract work and make some money here and there. It’s also a skill that gives me joy and satisfaction. I think eventually my professional writing will pick up enough that I can go a few days without checking Craigslist for possible jobs that may or may not include bodily fluids.

But until that day arrives, I’ll keep hammering away at life and praying that I continue to grow and learn from the experiences around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment